'Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) : 'Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem.'

Posted on 2011-09-06
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
Exchange 2010 sp1 update rollup 5 in production environment.
I have a couple of users who have multiple email accounts so they are set up with their primary account in Outlook 2003 or 2007 as an exchange account. Their secondary account is set up as a pop account.
When they try to send a message with an attachment from the pop account, they get an error "'Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) : 'Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem.'"
Sending the same message with no attachment works fine.
I have read that Exchange 2010 sp1 was supposed to fix this, but it does not, at least not in my case. Running Outlook in cached mode does stop the error, but I can't run outlook in cached mode on a Windows Server 2003 remote desktop server.

 I can duplicate it all day long by adding a secondary pop account to any machine I have using Outlook 2003 and 2007, Windows XP and Windows 7.

It is obviously a problem with Exchange 2010 and I have seen many posts about this same issue but is there a real fix for it?
Question by:ljlkrl
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 6
  • 5
LVL 49

Expert Comment

ID: 36494718
The only quick fix for this i am aware about is to set the delivery of the pop3 account to a pst

Author Comment

ID: 36495213
How do I set the pop 3 delivery to a pst file and leave the exchange account delivering to the exchange mailbox on the exchange server?
Online Training Solution

Drastically shorten your training time with WalkMe's advanced online training solution that Guides your trainees to action. Forget about retraining and skyrocket knowledge retention rates.


Author Comment

ID: 36495933
Well that works for Outlook 2007 but I have Outlook 2003 on the remote desktop. That causes another problem though with mail stored in two different places.
I can't do that for someone who uses a laptop and the RDT server because they won't get all their mail on the laptop if they check it on the RDT server.
LVL 49

Expert Comment

ID: 36495989
i have no idea if the same can be done on outlook 2003 sorry I never tried it.

emails doesn't have to be stored in 2 places, you can simply forward the inbound to the exchange account so that all inbound items will be on exchange server.

You will still have issues with the sent items however.

alternatively you could just give account 1(exchange) send as on account2(pop3) and remove the pop3 totally, let them work simply from exchange.

sorry but this is the only real solution that worked for this problem for me

Author Comment

ID: 36496041
I might have to call MS and see if they have a solution other than SP1 which doesn't fix the problem.
LVL 49

Expert Comment

ID: 36496359
keep me updated

Author Comment

ID: 36522403
Microsoft has confirmed this is a bug they are working on.
No solution yet.
LVL 49

Expert Comment

ID: 36523076
thank you for the update

Accepted Solution

ljlkrl earned 0 total points
ID: 37006243
Ok, took a while but Microsoft finally figured this out for me.
I had to send them logs a few times, but it turns out it was corruption in my mailbox database.
They had me create a new mailbox database and then create a couple of test users in that database. I set one up with an exchange account and the other as a pop account in outlook 2003 and 2007.
I was able to send messages from the pop account with and without attachments with no erros.
I then moved my production account to the new database and tested it again, and had no problems sending mail from the pop account.
Although they said it was not the same bug that was fixed in sp1, it behaves the same way.
The corrupt database is the initial one created during install, and they could not tell me where the corruption is or what caused it.
I will now move all my users to the new database and delete the original one.

If anyone has this issue, try creating a new mail database and set up a couple of test users and see if it helps.

I am glad this one is behind me.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 37035257
This was resolved by Microsoft. I am merely posting this to help other users who may have this issue.

Featured Post

Instantly Create Instructional Tutorials

Contextual Guidance at the moment of need helps your employees adopt to new software or processes instantly. Boost knowledge retention and employee engagement step-by-step with one easy solution.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Find out what you should include to make the best professional email signature for your organization.
A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…
To show how to generate a certificate request in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Servers >> Certificates…

695 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question