My browser is failing completely to load web pages from at least some sources. I had thought that some sources were OK but experimentation with those seems to show that even if the initial page loads fully pages called up by following links on that can exhibit similar symptoms.
The symptoms are variable. Sometimes the page fails to load at all. Sometimes it loads part way and then stops. Other times it appears to load fully (in the sense of all of the display being visible) but the "in progress" circle keeps moving. The problem is similar whether I use Firefox (my default browser) or Internet Explorer.
Until a couple of days ago I had (or at least was aware of) no problem. I have done a system restore to a point prior to that. It has made no difference.
I noticed that Java had been automatically updated (to Update 26) shortly before the problem began. I manually updated to Update 27. It made no difference. I uninstalled Java (using Control Panel) and reinstalled. It made no difference.
I have tried running Firefox in Safe Mode (all add-ons disabled). It made no difference. I cleared all cookies and the cache in Firefox. It made no difference.
My ISP is reporting no problems and, although I have raised a query with them, I don't really think the problem is there as, otherwise, my broadband connection appears to be working OK.
My system software details are
Windows 7 Home Premium version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
iexplorer version 9.0.8112.16421
firefox version 220.127.116.1162
Java version 6 update 27 (build 1.6.0_27=b07)
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
MS Security Essentials version 2.1.1116.0
My guess is that the problem is Java-linked. That's because (a) the problem began so soon after Update 26 and (b) the hang-up seems to be caused by scripts not completing.
But I don't know where to look next.
Bear with me. I'm typing this off-line and just hoping I'll be able to post. Unfortunately, EE is one of the sites where initial loading seems OK but moving about causes problems.