How to reset Apple Airport Extreme Time Machine Password
Posted on 2011-09-12
1. Attempts to reset apple Airport Extreme time machine password failed. Followed instructions below, but network was unavailable for few minutes, then returned expecting 'forgotten' password. I want to change password. How do I do this? Airport Extreme has 2 networks - Guest network is non-working one.
2. Credentials; TIME CAPSULE 802.11N (3rd Generation), version 7.5.2
3. 1. While the device is plugged in, use the tip of a pen to press and hold down the reset button for a few [conflicting instructions: other Apple docs say no more this 1 sec - which I did] seco
nds. The device and network passwords are temporarily reset to “public.”
4. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a Windows computer.
5. Select the device you’ve reset, and then click Manual Setup. Enter the password if necessary. The default password is “public.”
6. Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then click Base Station.
7. Give the device a new password, and then click Update.