Steps to take when software application (QuickBooks Pro 2010) won't run.
Posted on 2011-09-13
I am running Windows 7 and have an application (QuickBooks Pro 2010) which previously has been working just fine. However now, just out of the blue, whenever I try to run it, I immediately get a, "This program has stopped working..." pop-up and the program closes. After retrying it a few times and getting the same result, I decided to reboot my computer which I did. But to my surprise, that did not help anything.
I am next going to uninstall then reinstall the software but before doing that they want to find out if there is any way to save the current data file. I created a backup file yesterday so fortunately I have got that but the backup file was made in the morning and was followed by several hours of work. I am loathe to have to redo all of that so I'm hopeful that there is a way to go into Windows Explorer, grab the current working data file, place it on a different drive, do the reinstall, then reinsert the data file.
1) will that even work?
2) if yes, where is or how can I find the current working data file?
3) is there any other important question I should be asking?
Less Important (and optional) Questions:
4) what might have caused the problem in the first place and can it be avoided?
5) are the steps I've taken the correct ones and in the correct order?
6) what else could/should be done?
PS Please don't wait on posting answers to the important questions while answering the less important questions.