Vmware and storage
Posted on 2011-09-14
Iam planning for the infrastructure with VM ware and storage for 5 Virtual Machines on each server having two servers, below mentioned details for your reference:
1.HP DL380 G5 Server proceesor: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5410 Processor (2.3GHz, 80 Watt, ,333 FSB) / ,2MB (2 x 6MB) Level 2 cache # purchased few years ago
2.Dell(TM) PowerEdge(TM) R710 Rack Mount Server , TPM Motherboard for R710, Westmere CPU , Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5630 2.53GHz, ,2M cache # purchased recently
Both the servers are with 4 physical NIC's.
3. purchased Vmware vsphere 5 essential plus kit
4. EMC storage Vnxe3100 with 600GB * 12
I have planned for the storage technology with iSCSI, please suggest me what all the additional hardware to be procured
Below doubts please help on this:
1.Is it required to purchase the HBA for the HP DL380 G5 Rack Mount Server and Dell(TM) PowerEdge(TM) R710 Rack Mount Server if yes then please suggest me the models of the HBA for the HP and Dell servers.
2. Is it possible to install ESXi hosts on these servers and VM's stored on the storage without the HBA.
3. Should the HBA has to be compatible with the storage Vnxe3100 or HBA compatibility is only with the server hardware not related to the storage device, please explain.
3. Is ISCSI HBA is recommended please suggest iam looking for the best practice method.
Please help me in this. Thanks in advance.