Intermittent Pop3 email issue on ipad/ iphone - does not make sense.
Posted on 2011-09-14
We have a problem with BT email account on an ipad and iphone.
The issue is that the user has severe intermittent problems with regard to sending and receiving emails.
We have been puzzled by this on-going problem.
When the ipad was brought to our office, we found that email worked fine, however when back with user in different location issues occur.
The error message that occurs is that the ipad / iphone is similar to:
Unable to communicate with mailserver username password incorrect.
(This is not the exact message as the user does not get enough time to fully explain it before it disappears but it basically says user name and password is wrong - sometimes SMTP is at the front of message so I assume an error for incoming and for outgoing)
We have checked the settings talking the user over the phone many times. The strange thing is we can be looking at the settings and say, "well lets re-enter the password again -just in case". And then it starts working again and it might work OK for a little while.
However, it will then start generating the error message again for seemingly no reason
We have gone through a painful process with BT and confirmed all the settings are OK and even set up Windows Live mail on a computer on the same network to ensure all settings are correct (and the email client on PC works fine on the same network)
The settings we basically use are:
Port incoming: 110
Outgoing: 25 / 587 (played with having both)
What could be causing this. Days of investigation are starting to point to the devices, but the fact that it occurs on both iphone and ipad is strange.
What on earth could be causing this. The really strange thing is sometimes it will just start working. but at present mostly not.