[Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 633
  • Last Modified:

Email's delivered via outlook bounce back for exchange user, non-outlook emails are not bounced back

I'm using SBS 2011, which is the combination of Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010.

I simulated what would happen if a user would quit the company then come back soon after.
I removed the user's account via the "Small Business Server Standard 2011 Standard Console", I selected not to remove all email or shared documents.
I pulled the users computer off the domain, verified the user was no longer in Active Directory and deleted the users PC.
I tested the users account using (OWA) Outlook Web Access & Gmail to simulate emails inside & outside the company, all tests were fine.
Here is the problem, the next day, when people use Outlook 2010 to send the user an email, the email instantly bounces back, I log into OWA, and can't replicate their errors.

This is what the bounced back email says
==============
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: ServerName.DomainName.local

IMCEAEX-_O=FIRST+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=John+20Doe@DomainName.local
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

Original message headers:
===============
I can send direct messages to him via OWA, Gmail, and using my Android (exchange).
I can reply to a message John sends to me in Outlook 2010.
If I (or any user) send a message to John from Outlook it gets returned with the above error message.
I spent about 4 hours looking into this
----
I removed the users account a second time, this time removing all files and email. The above issue still exists.

Any advice would be very helpfull
0
msjlogicjunction
Asked:
msjlogicjunction
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
Jamie McKillopCommented:
Hello,

This is an Outlook cache issue. When you delete an account and recreate it, it is a different object in the directory, even though it may have all the same properties as the old account. Outlook caches recipients for auto-complete. It has the old object cached, which is what is causing the failure. Start typing the recipient in the To field and when Outlook offers the autocomplete, delete the entry. Now click the To button and select the recipient from the GAL.

JJ
0
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
The problem here is that your internal Outlook users are sending mail to the cached internal email address, which uses the X500 address, which no longer exists because you have deleted the account.

If you get the Outlook users to delete this users address from their Autocomplete list and select their account from the Global Address List, then the problem will go away.
0
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
It's all in the timing :(
0
 
msjlogicjunctionAuthor Commented:
time and the manual removal of the 'bad' account was all that was needed to fix the problem.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now