1) This UAC tools at Windows Vista and 7 are very annoying.
2)I have a linux Ubuntu (10.04.3) workstation in production environment
- It gets the IP address from DHCP server
- It can connect to intranet and internet well
3) This linux machine is also having the capability similar to UAC --> always prompting to password
4) Per help of EE's experts, i get to know that we can "DISABLE" this UAC tool by editing the file at /etc/sudoers
5) I did editing this file as the followings
- open terminal
-switch to root --> use "sudo -s"
-edit the file with gedit --> gedit /etc/sudoers
-The editing is:
* Original (or by default): %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
* Change it into: %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
-then SAVE and EXIT
6) After doing the above, I want to TEST (whether this UAC tool has been DISABLED); I do the followings
- I type in: sudo -s --> it did not ask me the password, and it change to the "root"
- I am back to the "user" (not root), and type in: sudo gedit /etc/hostname --> the hostname window appear, and the system did not ask me for a password
- I am back to the "user" (not root), and type in: sudo ifconfig eth0 down --> and it did not ask me for a password (When I check, the IP address is gone; it is only 127.0.0.1; so the command is working)
- I type in --> sudo ifconfig eth0 up (and the IP address appears again; and it did not also asking for password)
7) I need the Confirmation from Experts please
8) Per my understanding, the UAC tool in the above linux Ubuntu workstation has been DISABLED; is it TRUE? or I am wrong ...please provide a liitle bit explanation for your answers
9) Thank you