• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 213
  • Last Modified:

can't set standard font in excel

When I export a query from access to excel the font used is that which I set in the tools - options - general - standard font.  However, if I use an additional column to work with the data it uses a larger font size.  Where can I set it to always use the one I set as standard?
0
robinbernett
Asked:
robinbernett
  • 8
  • 6
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
John HurstBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
The font setting for Excel is for new workbooks. Is the query export bringin a font along with it?

If no, try doing an Office Repair (method depends on the version of Office). ... Thinkpads_User
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
I don't know, thinkpads user.  The columns used by the query are in 8 which is what I want, the rest of the ss is in 10 which I don't.  How could I tell?

I will try the repair when I am able to close current work.
0
 
John HurstBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Most of my pastes are from text or formulas, and I have to use Paste Special to get rid of incoming fonts. But I don't use query imports much. The only suggestion I have is to look at the various Paste or Import options.

Someone with more query expertise may know also. ... Thinkpads_User
0
Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
If anyone out there has an answer for this I would be grateful
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
robin - can you clarify a few points?

What version of Excel are you using? (I'm guessing 2003?)
Where did you set the "standard" font - Excel or Access?
If you create a new, blank workbook, what font is used?
Are you inserting a new column to work with the query data, or just using an existing blank column?
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
mark

Yes, 2003
Standard font set in excel - although I've checked and the same is the default for access too
Arial 8
just using an existing blank column

thanks for taking an interest!
robin
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
robin - thanks for the info

A couple more follow-up question:  Can you describe your process for populating the spreadsheet?  Are you importing from a text file exported out of Access or ...?
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
A query in access, using, from access,  tools>office links>Analyze it with Microsoft Excel
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
the file sets with the correct font size, but when I run a macro on the ss in excel additional columns are in font size 10 rather than 8.  There is nothing in the macro that states any different font or size.
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
Can you post a "sanitized" example of the spreadsheet in question? (no sensitive data)

The macro is populating the additional column(s) then?

0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
mark, sorry to seem ungrateful, but can I continue with this tomorrow?  I have a dependent adult waiting for me.  Sorry.  I thought I was just initiating closing this question earlier, not working towards a solution this evening.  Much appreciate your time and expertise on this.
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
Something to try/check...

Is the undesired font/size the same as the default Word font/size?  If yes, try changing the default Word font and re-testing.  I've found some indication that if you don't explicitly dictate the font characteristics, a macro will default to Word characteristics.

To change the Word default: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291291

If that "fixes" the issue, then you'll have a couple of options:

Leave the default Word font at the settings you want for Excel
Change the Word default back and explicitly define the font characteristics in your macro/VBA
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
No problem, robin.  I'll await your next update.
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
mark,

I have found the problem - a template called by the macro, although having the font/size setting that I want for some reason had part of the ss somehow 'set' to the larger font size.  I don't quite understand it, but I have selected all cells in the ss and set and saved them to size 8 and it seems to have ironed out the fault.  I wouldn't have gone looking there if it hadn't been for your intervention, so thank you.

robin
0
 
robinbernettAuthor Commented:
Cheers - have been trying to solve that one for months!
0
 
mark_harris231Commented:
Glad you found the issue and happy to have been of (indirect) assistance.  Cheers - mark
0

Featured Post

Take Control of Web Hosting For Your Clients

As a web developer or IT admin, successfully managing multiple client accounts can be challenging. In this webinar we will look at the tools provided by Media Temple and Plesk to make managing your clients’ hosting easier.

  • 8
  • 6
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now