Can map drive but not browse XP Pro SP3 shares unless setup as PowerUser or Admin on shared machine
Posted on 2011-09-20
Can map drive (net use) consistently, and access, but not browse XP Pro SP3 shares (access denied) unless setup as PowerUser or Admin on shared machine (just a "user" will not work).
Have many machines on home network, but turned them all off but these two for this testing to keep it simple. File server is XP Pro SP3 and user's computer is XP Home or Vista or Win7 (results are all the same).
1. I have setup same usernames/passwords on both computers
2. Have permissions set on shares correctly (works as should on mapped drives)
3. Server is set as master browser (other set to false)
4. NetBios is enabled (only using TCP/IP)
5. Can ping back and forth and access internet just fine
6. Windows firewall disabled on both
7. Server is static IP, user is dynamic (no conflict) - same subnet
8. Workgroup is same on both
Will only work if I make the user a poweruser or admin on the file share ... can't find anything on this ... has me baffeled !!!