Replace 2003 Member Server with New 2008 Member Server - Keeping Same Name
Posted on 2011-09-21
We are currently in the process of replacing a Fax application server which is running on a Windows 2003 member server.
Due to a number of reasons, mainly down to legacy applications, it would be preferable to keep the original servers name on the new server ( windows 2008 R2 64Bit )
My question is this: What is the best method to achieve this?
My Original plan was
1. Shutdown current server
2. Reset the computer account in AD Users and computers
3. Name the new 2008 server the same as the original server
4. Attach the new 2008 server to the network
5. Join to domain
However, I have been told that this will cause a number of issues including naming conflicts?
I am now looking at this method
1. Rename the existing server while it is on the network( via computer/properties )
2. Wait for the AD to replicate the changes to the DC’s
3. Add the new server with the “original name”
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,