Symantec Backup Exec wont write to LTO 5 drive
Posted on 2011-09-22
I have an incredibly annoying and time consuming issue and am desperate for some inspiration as to how to solve it!
A customer has a brand new Dell PE 710 Server running Server 2008 R2. We have installed Exchange 2010 and for backup they purchased a LTO5-140 IBM external drive from Dell also. 1.5/3.0 TB tapes.
BE version is 2010 R2, fully patched.
The hardware is supported on the SBE HCL.
Last week on went onsite to install and configure their backup solution (Exchange and 2 agents for windows file shares) and its still not working.
The issue is quite simply this. BE cant write to the drive no matter what we try.
If I try an inventory, it fails, a test backup fails. Erase fails.
Backup Exec has detected the drive and it goes online ok, then try and use it and boom after a couple of mins it goes offline and the job fails. Warning light flashes on front of tape drive and error code 6 appears on the display.
i have contacted both Dell and Symantec on it and neither have been able to provide a solution so far.
- Dell have replaced the SAS HBA card, the cable and the tape drive itself to no avail. Engineer I had on-site couldnt understand it.
- We have upgraded all firmware and drivers to the most recent versions.
- We have tried using the Symantec drivers and also the windows drivers.
- Tried 5 different tapes.
- There is no OEM driver for the drive on the website, site says use the Windows driver.
- Symantec have run various tests and they initially aid it was a hardware fauly, now they think maybe a driver issue, their driver doesnt work with it though.
Basically one is blaming the other and I am no nearer getting thousands of Euro of equipment to work and the customer is wondering whats going on.
Has anyone seen similar and what was the resolution?