VMware/ ESXi 4.1 Configuration Opinion
Posted on 2011-09-22
I'm looking for opinions about a configuration. I work for a small school district that has recently gone virtual.
I'm new to this whole VMware/ESX idea, but forged through this design and deployment and I'm curious if I've made any terrible decisions. Again I'm new and had a small budget.
-HP C3000 Enclosure
1 - bl460 G7 with (2x 2.9Ghz - 6core/CPU)
2 - 600GB 10k SAS (Raid 1)
I loaded ESXi 4.1 on the entire RAID 1.
I've deployed a couple 2008r2 VM's (2-3cpu/ 6-8GB ram/ 50gb storage) all properly vlan'd.
I've deployed a VM from within to run Vcenter.
I've setup a couple 2008R2 VM templates.
Honestly the setup was pretty straightforward for being my first out of the box setup.
I need opinions of wrong steps or advice in general.
- I'm concerned with bottlenecks.
- The majority of the VMs will be a type of terminal server for a nComputing solution. I've heard that the IOPS could be an issue?
- My "Deploy VM from Template" is painfully slow. Like 3-4hrs to deploy a single vm.
- The VMs are running well so far under lite testing.
- Final VM count will hopefully be 8-10.
Before I unleash into full production are there any tips you have?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance.