Solved

Certificate error for EVERY https site in IE9

Posted on 2011-09-23
9
898 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-08
Hey guys, after upgrading our firm to IE9, we're getting "There is a problem with this websites security certificate" whenever users go to ANY secure website. Has anyone else ran into this? I'm wondering if there's something in GP that's causing this, that wasn't an issue with IE8. If a user is on Firefox, they don't have the issue. From what I've read, the date and time can cause this, but that's not the issue here. Any other suggestions?
0
Comment
Question by:fza11404
  • 5
  • 3
9 Comments
 
LVL 50

Expert Comment

by:jcimarron
ID: 36592834
0
 

Author Comment

by:fza11404
ID: 36712220
Well, I've checked the clock, so thats not it. Its literally EVERY https site I visit.There's just no way they would all have incorrect security certs. Again, this all started as soon as we released the IE9 update through WSUS.
0
 
LVL 50

Expert Comment

by:jcimarron
ID: 36712384
fza11404--
1)  Try turning the Phishing filer off.
2)   Look in IE Tools|Internet Options|Advanced tab| see whether SSL 3.0 and TSL 1.0 are checked.  If not check them|ApplyOK.
0
Free Tool: Postgres Monitoring System

A PHP and Perl based system to collect and display usage statistics from PostgreSQL databases.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

 

Author Comment

by:fza11404
ID: 36712427
Hmm, nope, still no luck. This is so odd.......
0
 
LVL 70

Expert Comment

by:Merete
ID: 36814274
Did you run internet explorer as an administrator?
Try using the delete all cookies and temporary internet files incase there is some temp files left over from Internet Explorer 8
------------------------------
Have you checked the smart screen fiter is on?
Go to tools
also in tools go to Content click on certificates>intermediate Certification Authorities>Advanced>
everything is ticked in here except for Client Authentation and Secure Mail.
You could lower your security to recomended?
------------------------------
Delete the offending certificate and IE 9 should recreate it.
Open Internet Explorer.
Click on Tools then  Internet Options
Click Content tab.
open  Certificates
 under the Certificates" heading  ( ALL) below this
You'll see Trusted Root  Certification Authorities then  two listing Other People Intermediate Cert Authorities and trusted Root Certificates right next to this is a couple of arrows one for left and one for scroll right
Do so and click on the right arrow to scroll right, keep clicking on it till you see Untrusted Publishers. Then click on the certificate that is causing a error message.
Next, click Remove to delete that certificate.
Apply and OK
Exit Internet Explorer and  re-open

content-arrow.jpg
untrusted.jpg
0
 

Author Comment

by:fza11404
ID: 36816518
Hmm, no, those steps still did not help. I've also noticed now that when I try to run applications off our server, I'm getting a "The publisher could not be verified" dialog box for almost all of them. I'm now pretty sure its a Group Policy problem. What do you guys think?
0
 
LVL 50

Expert Comment

by:jcimarron
ID: 36816546
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
fza11404 earned 0 total points
ID: 36964087
In the end, we decided to blast a bunch of old unnecessary GP entries and it took care of it. Somewhere in there, we had a conflict. Unfortunately, we don't know exactly which GPO fixed it, so I cant post the fix.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:fza11404
ID: 37052178
Answered internally.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Bada platform is becoming more and more famous this days and people talking about same. Some friends included those who have bada OS mobile asked me "what is bada?"and "what its features?". That encouraged me to research and write this article. [st…
I annotated my article on ransomware somewhat extensively, but I keep adding new references and wanted to put a link to the reference library.  Despite all the reference tools I have on hand, it was not easy to find a way to do this easily. I finall…
Google currently has a new report that is in beta and coming soon to Webmaster Tool accounts. This Micro Tutorial will highlight new features for Google Webmaster Tools.
This Micro Tutorial will demonstrate how to add subdomains to your content reports. This can be very importing in having a site with multiple subdomains.

837 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question