SAS 9.2 ts2m3.
Windows XP SP3
I am trying to understand the locking mechanism in SAS. We have a problem with our batch updates failing if a user is querying a dataset while we are trying to reload it. I would like to identify the lock, send an email and loop instead of having my process fail.
I tried this test and get unexpected results.
1) Start PCSAS
2) Connect to my SAS server on an AIX box.
3) Create a libname to the server.
4) Lock my dataset successfully. Lock libname.dataset;
From the log: "NOTE: MLQ_WKL.DAILYSALES.DATA is now locked for exclusive access by you."
5) Create a second PCSAS instance
6) Connect to the same AIX box.
7) Create the same libname as above.
8) Test the lock. Lock libname.dataset list;
This returns the message "NOTE: MLQ_WKL.DAILYSALES.DATA is not locked or in use by you or any other users.
If I try to open the dataset in SAS Explorer I get the message below.
Why do I get the message in #8? And can I query SAS successfully for a lock to prevent my process from failing?