When trying to move a mailbox from one Exchange 2010 server to another, I'm getting the following error. This isn't 100% across the board; that is, if I try to migrate 10 mailboxes, I might get the error five times. If a new local move request fails with the error below and I try again it might work, it might not. Eventually it will work.
Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Elapsed time: 00:00:04
MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)
Lid: 15000 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: prm: Pointer val: 0x0C200A0A00000000
Lid: 16280 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ComputerName: n/a
Lid: 8600 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ProcessID: 1988
Lid: 12696 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generation Time: 2011-09-26 17:39:45:668
Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 18
Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Status: 10061
Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 318
Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0
Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 0
Lid: 24060 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 31938 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 27842 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 29058 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
'domain.local/User/Staff/John Doe' | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase 'Mailbox Database 1867994801'
Elapsed Time: 00:00:04
There is no firewall enabled on either server, and they're on the same subnet with no ACLs blocking communications.
I've made sure both hosts are pingable by NetBIOS name. I did this by adding entries to the HOSTS file and also by adding the domain name to the DNS suffix list on the TCP/IP properties of each server. No help.
I've disabled IPv6 and tried and that didn't help either. However, after disablign IPv6 I wasn't able to reboot - I'll be able to test that later this afternoon.
I've also noticed this in Event Log, but not sure if it was at the same time as a failed new local move request or not:
Event ID: 10009
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer MAIL2.domain.local using any of the configured protocols.
Also seeing this on the source email server:
Event ID: 2604
Source: MXExchange ADAccess
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1192). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object MAIL2 - Error code=8007077f.
The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.
Event ID: 2501
Source: MSExchange ADAccess
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1192). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsctxGetContext Error code=8007077f. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.
Both seem to point to DNS, but DNS looks clean. I made sure they're both registered with the proper IPs and PTRs.