Mail Merge Issues
Posted on 2011-09-26
We are having a couple of issues in our attempt to do a mail merge. All of the applications that we are using (Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook) are part of the Office 2010 suite. Below is the process that we use:
1. We extract data from our database application in the form of a report that we run. The spreadsheet containing the data is exported in the old .xls format. At this time, I do not know of a way to force the database application to export the data in the more current .xlsx version.
2. We then open our mail merge document (a .docx file), which launches a new message in Outlook with all of the merge fields visible in the body of the e-mail. When I click on the 'Mailings' tab and click 'Preview Results', the merge fields disappear and no data shows up.
At this point, we have at least found a workaround that will allow us to see the data. Below are the steps we have to perform:
1. Close the merge document
2. Re-open the .xls spreadsheet that holds the data
3. Click 'Save' in the spreadsheet (no other changes need to be done) and close it.
4. Re-open the merge document and click 'Preview Results'.
5. The data then appears.
We would like to find a way to avoid having to re-open every spreadsheet and clicking Save before the merge works.
Also, the e-mail header data (subject line and distribution list) is not being retained when the files are saved, so this information needs to be inserted each time the merge is run.
Our goal is to be able to export the data and open the merge document with the merge data and header data available. I do hope that I have provided enough detail for you all. Please let me know if you have any questions.