<Rant> MS Word macro security is driving me nuts. I have a bunch of macros bundled up and signed with a digital certificate. I keep getting support calls from people who don't read the message telling them to adjust their macro security settings and think the macros just don't work. And adding trusted locations etc. is way to difficult for the average word user. </Rant>
There are a few other issues as well… I'd like to be able to:
- fix bugs without having to modify the entire project and reinstall everything
- add new language without having to reinstall the entire package
- introduce updates from the internet
Most of the functionality the macros provide includes:
- assigning document information
- enforcing formatting rules
- checking for consistency in formatting
- updating cross references
- inserting pictures etc in a consistent way
If I'm not mistaken there are other ways besides using VBA macros to control MS Word…?
I'm looking for information on what would be a good approach to replacing macros to eliminate current frustrations (or eliminate current frustrations while keeping macros) and also, anticipating that I will need to hire a programmer, what skill set should I be advertising for?