How to correct an error "XULRunner-couldn't load XRE function" in Win 7 x64?

I have recently completed an In-Place Upgrade from Vista x64 to Win 7 x64 on my HP dv9820us laptop.  Following an upgrade from Firefox 6.0.2 to Firefox 7.0, on attempting to access each of my Firefox and RoboForm2Go programs, I received the error "XULRunner-couldn't load the XRE function".  I understand, from reviewing some posts on oter user forums, that there are some incompatabilities between Win 7 and some older programs, or their add-ons to firefox (and IE9?).   I have already tried uninstalling Firefox 7.0 and re-installing it from a downloaded version from the Mozilla website, but the same error occurs when I attenpt to open Firefox 7.  Somewhat strangely though, the installation process was able to directly access the Firefox website for the "thank-you" for the download.  What is the nature of this error and how does one correct it?
Appreciatively, Arbyem
R_Bruce_MorrisColonel (Retired)Asked:
Who is Participating?
 
Arman KhodabandeConnect With a Mentor IT Manager and ConsultantCommented:
Glad to hear.
Good luck
P.S. I love Drivermax
0
 
Arman KhodabandeIT Manager and ConsultantCommented:
Try forcing firefox to start in safe mode by holding down the shift key while clicking the item as it  might be a faulty plugin/addon.

Please visit this question.

It's not related to your error but there is a lot of repairing that can help you repair it.
0
 
R_Bruce_MorrisColonel (Retired)Author Commented:
I did not try the "Safe Mode" approach, and I did not derive any usefu "hints" from the website of "this question" link.  However, following updating some drivers using DriverMax Pro (v5.95), for some reason, Firefox 7.0.1 could be opened via either the shortcut, or the taskbar icon!
I did not test any hotlink embedded in an email, since I changed my default browser to IE9, and I will leave it so, at lest for the time being.
Thanks for the input.  I will take the necessry steps to close this question, although I would have preferred to have had an explanatin as to why the situation occurred.
Appreciatively, Arbyem
0
 
R_Bruce_MorrisColonel (Retired)Author Commented:
I still do not know which particular action that I took that resulted in the elimination of the problem.  I have to assume that it was one of the updates that I performed that caused the error to be eliminated. Arbyem
0
 
Weg2Commented:
Two nights ago I updated from FF5 to FF8.
On running, get "Couldn't load XRE functions" error from XULRunner window.  That was it! Nothing more.
HP zd8000 series notebook
Windows XP Pro
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 10
Grateful for a solution, if any.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.