Magento Setup - Copy development files to live store
Posted on 2011-09-28
I’m working on getting Magento set up on my VPS server and need some help. I have the newest stable version installed in a dev and live instance. Now, I am trying to figure out how to move the files I need from the dev instance to the live instance without interrupting the live instance. I have been following the Magento-provided instructions but the live site is not showing the theme on the front end and the information that is in the database I copied over is in the mySql db but isn’t showing in the backend of the Magento admin panel (things like customer and catalog items).
These are the steps I have followed:
1. SSH to public_html
2. mysqldump -h localhost -u devdbusername -pdevdbpassword devdbname | mysql -h localhost -u livedbusername -plivedbpassword livedbname
3. Update /app/etc/local.xml username, password and dbname
4. Update core_config_data web/unsecure/base_url & web/secure/base_url with live URL
5. Copy my theme folders to app/design/frontend/default/ & skin/frontend/default
6. Login to Magento admin and reindex
I must be missing something. Can you help?