Outlook 2003 0x8004011D error when trying to connect to Exchange
Posted on 2011-09-29
One of our users is getting this error when he opens Outlook and tries to connect to Exchange. He is using Outlook 2003 and we are running Exchange 2003 server. He is a remote user connected to our VPN. I have verified that he can ping the Exchange server and can see and access shared folders on it. I also tried to set up the option "Access my mailbox using HTTP" to use the RPC proxy (outlook anywhere is what it's called in newer Exchange versions). That works fine for other users, but it didn't work for him. He can access OWA with no problems.
I have tried doing a repair install of Office 2003 and have also tried creating another Outlook profile, however when I get to the point of entering the exchange server name and his user name, I receive the error message "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.".
His Outlook used to work fine, this problem just started happening. I'm not aware of any changes that happened either on his computer or the Exchange server recently.