We need some help with some capacity planning for our SQL Server environment.
it was attempted to do some capacity planning twice recently, but we quickly outgrew the solution we implemented.
I am wanting to make the right choices this time around.
What tool could I use to help with this plan? capacity planning, and sizing
Here’s what I currently know about the environment:
• 10 virtual SQL Server instances (shame on me, I forgot to ask what version of SQL Server!)
• 1 virtual instance running SSAS
• 3-4 of the instances are mission-critical
• EMC SAN
• 2 host VMware cluster
• There are other servers on the VMware cluster, but I don’t know exactly what or how many
• He doesn’t know exactly where backups are going
Challenges we’ve experienced recently:
• Rapidly outgrowing recent capacity expansions
• Have lots of disk contention, but not sure how much of that is due to memory limitations
• Have limited RAM available
• The set up the reporting SSRS environment, but undersized it and rapidly outgrew the environment
• set up the SSAS environment and now the cubes are rapidly devouring that environment
• would benefit from advice on how to use the SAN more efficiently
• help analyzing the pro’s/con’s of using some physical db servers
• What are other info you need in order to help me with the assessment and capacity planning recommendations