Posted on 2011-09-30
I had an Exchange 2007 server running. Recently I lost a drive from the RAID 5 array and while trying to recover the array the entire array failed and I lost everything. The upgrade from Exchange 2003 to 2007 occurred fairly recently and I didnt have a chance to backup the 2007 exchange data. So, I have a fairly recent Exchange 2003 backup of the entire directory.
Here's the givens
- The current server that I'm trying to re-install Exchange 2003 to is Enterprise 2003 32 bit. Server name is SUN. The plan is to re-install using the old data then do another migration to Exchange 2007 on the new server
- The new server is Enterprise 2003 64 bit named NEPTUNE. To be clear no Exchange has been installed to NEPTUNE yet.
- NEPTUNE is the GCS and has all of the FSMO roles assigned to it. DNS is running and updates to all DCs.
- SUN and TITAN are also DCs with DNS installed on them.
- I want to get SUN up and running first before I try to get 2007 running on NEPTUNE.
The problem is that after I installed Exchange 2003 (to SUN) the ESM shows Admin Groups > Exchange Admin Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) > Servers > NEPTUNE as the server even tho at this point NEPTUNE has NOTHING on it. Under First Admin Group > Servers > SUN is listed. The Information Store will not Start/mount and there appears to be an MTA issue as that service will not start as well. The System Attendant, Routing Engine and Management services all start.
Exchange 2003 SP2 has been installed. When I start the MTA Stacks service I get the following errors in the Event Viewer App log "Error initializing session for virtual machine SUN. The error number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running" and "A fatal error occurred reading a value from the directory. No MTA name was found. Contact Microsoft Technical Support. [MTA MAIN BASE 1 12] (16) ". When I start the IS service I get the following errors in the Event Viewer app log "Error 0x80004005 connecting to the Microsoft Active Directory." and "Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. - Error 0x80004005."
I believe the main issue is that NEPTUNE is still embedded in Active Directory somewhere as an Exchange server even tho I removed the server after the crash and reinstalled it (Its running fine now). If we can remove NEPTUNE and reassociate SUN then I think this will start to work.
ANY Help would be most appreciated.