This is going to kill me eventually, I swear. I'm running Small Business Server 2008 Standard with Exchange 2007 and SharePoint Foundation 2010. Due to some problems running Search Server 2008 on another server, I took a chance and tried installing Search Server 2010 Express on the SBS box. Not so good. Killed companyweb, Outlook Anywhere, all sorts of stuff.
So I uninstalled Search Server Express. Took me a couple of hours to get companyweb and my web parts back up, but finally I've got everything except Outlook Anywhere. I can't count the number of times I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled RPC. Took me several times just to get it to install RPC and RPC with Cert on the SBS Web Applications site. On both the RPC and RPC with Cert applications Require SSL is on, Require 128-bit SSL is off, Client Certificates is Ignore, Authentication is Basic and Windows.
Ports is "BPTC-SERVER:593;BPTC-SERV
In EMS running Test-OutlookWebServices gives me an error:
Id : 1013
Type : Error
Message : When contacting https://mail.bptc.com/Rpc received the error The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine
Id : 1017
Type : Error
Message : [EXPR]-Error when contacting the RPC/HTTP service at https://mail.bptc.com/Rpc. The elapsed time was 12 milliseconds.
Testing at Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer
gives me several green checks, then:
Attempting to ping RPC endpoint 6001 (Exchange Information Store) on server BPTC-SERVER.BioProcessConsultants.local.
The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.
The RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime process.
If I Telnet to BPTC-SERVER.BioProcessCons
cal: 6001 (running on the server) I get some kind of response: "ncacn_http/1.0".
I've Googled the bejesus out of both those errors and haven't dug up anything that works. Help!!