What kind of business will be able to make the electric cord on an overhead chandelier longer?

Posted on 2011-10-03
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
What kind of business will be able to make the electric cord on an overhead chandelier longer?

The overhead chandelier contains five lights. It has a standard two prong electrical cord that plugs into a standard electrical outlet.

The electrical cord isn't long enough for where I will be hanging the overhead chandelier from.

I need to have the built in electrical cord made longer. I can't use extension cords, since this will create a fire hazard.

What kind of business should I look for on the internet and in the yellow pages that will be able to make the chandelier's built in electrical cord longer?
Question by:Knowledgeable
    LVL 38

    Assisted Solution

    by:Aaron Tomosky
    Electrician? A handyman could probably do it cheaper.
    LVL 15

    Assisted Solution

    >>A handyman could probably do it cheaper

    true that but unless he's certified electrical, any work done that causes a fire could nullify your insurance. Get a certified electrician.
    LVL 38

    Assisted Solution

    by:Aaron Tomosky
    Maybe you can take it to an appliance repair shop. That would still have a certified electrician but save the cost of an onsite visit
    LVL 32

    Accepted Solution

    There are two ways to do it.  The first (fastest) is with a splice into the existing electrical cord.  It may or may not be visible, depending on the color of the cord and quality of the splice.  If the cord is black, it can be soldered together for the mechanical bond, then painted with liquid electrical insulation (like black rubber) or heat shrink tubing rated appropriately.   Best done by someone with experience with electrical work.  There are other mechanical methods of splicing, but will be larger and more noticeable.

    The second (cleaner) way to do it is to replace the cord entirely.  If it's 2-prong only (no ground wire) you can do this yourself, but would take a while.  You'd have to find a suitable cord and plug (lamp cord sold by the foot + 2prong plug) at your local home improvement store.  Disconnect all power and bring the light to the ground.  Open the fixture & disconnect the wires from the screws.  Take note of which is the neutral wire.  It is usually marked on the cord with a stripe or ribbing.  It's important to attach the new cord to the same position.  Follow how the old cord is threaded through the chain.  Connect the wire ends to the proper screws/terminals inside the fixture.  Connect a plug to the other end, and you're good to go.

    See here for some of the same info with pictures.

    When in doubt, have an experienced person do the work.  If you have a lighting store nearby, they should be experienced enough to re-wire a fixture without having an electrician contractor's license.  In a pinch, even a vacuum cleaner or other appliance repair tech has more than enough knowledge to do the job.

    Featured Post

    Live: Real-Time Solutions, Start Here

    Receive instant 1:1 support from technology experts, using our real-time conversation and whiteboard interface. Your first 5 minutes are always free.

    Join & Write a Comment

    Suggested Solutions

    CSS is a visual language used to classify objects and define rules about how they should be displayed. CSS skills aren’t restricted to developers anymore, there is a big benefit to having a basic understanding of the language, regardless of your occ…
    One of the biggest challenges facing freelancers is balancing multiple projects and deadlines. Organizational skills and time management are key to keeping up with projects and staying on track. Luckily, we’ve curated seven tools to help you focus o…
    The Bounty Board allows you to request an article or video on any technical topic, or fulfill a bounty request to earn points. Watch this video to learn how to use the Bounty Board to get the content you want, earn points, and browse submitted bount…
    Want to pick and choose which updates you receive? Feel free to check out this quick video on how to manage your email notifications.

    755 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    19 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now