Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 430
  • Last Modified:

Safari Browser Compatibilty Issue? Website appears in source code?

We have the following website below and it shows up as source code in Safari 4.0 and Safari 5.0.

We have considered that it may not be passing the variables in the URL that make the site visible...

Any additional ideas would be very helpful!

http://www.ensembletravel.ca/eads/ezine/2011/08/us/index.php?agency=Object&address=Object&phone=Object&email=agent@ensembletravel.ca



0
EnsembleAdmin
Asked:
EnsembleAdmin
  • 6
  • 4
  • 2
  • +1
3 Solutions
 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
Based on your description, I suspect a coding problem.  Some browsers are more "forgiving" than others. So, I went to http://validator.w3.org/   and pasted in your URL.

Sorry to say but you have a lot of work to do.  I would concentrate on the first 3 problems first.

0
 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
BTW, I suspect this is what is causing Safari to show code instead of process code

Contradictory Parse Modes Detected!
0
 
EnsembleAdminAuthor Commented:
I know....and I want to add that I didn't code this...

Ugh..."Contradictory Parse Modes Detected!" Could that mean transitional is used on the page but an include file is using strict?

Or could this be related to a mime type issue from the server because I know the site isn't passing through a content-type even with it is coded coded into the head.

I have attempted to change the parse mode at the top of the page but it looks fine....Am I missing something simple here!

By the way I appreciate your help hmccurdy
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
Try something like this except don't lose the JavaScript code.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
  <title>Experience Travel E-zine</title>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
</head>
0
 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
BTW, on the left side in Firefox under Linux (not exactly a major demographic), above sponsored video, I see

Object
Object
Object


Something else isn't working also.

Hugh
0
 
Dave BaldwinFixer of ProblemsCommented:
I don't think that will help.  I think this time the Validator has been fooled.  When I looked at the headers, the main is not returning Any content type, not "text/html" or anything that would tell the browser or the Validator how to interpret it.  It appears to me to be a server problem since it is the server that normally sends that header.

Try putting this near the top of the file before any text output and see if it helps:
header('Content-type: text/html');

If that works, then the server is not configured to send the right header.
0
 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
Yes, Dave, it could be the server.  Either way, he needs a solution.  If the validator is being fooled, Safari could also be being fooled.

Good to have another set of eyes on this, especially if you are right.

Hugh
0
 
EnsembleAdminAuthor Commented:
I will try both and let you know the success.

As for the object situation that is a customization tag that we have inserted into the site. Ignore that.

As an FYI I have attempted both of these solutions before with little luck but maybe I did it wrong.

I appreciate both of you taking the time!
0
 
Hugh McCurdyCommented:
Please let us know.  Part of how EE works is by the experts learning what actually worked.
0
 
EnsembleAdminAuthor Commented:
Well, I'm happy to say that the issue has been resolved due to the content type not passing.

The solution of header('Content-type: text/html'); was the correct one; which I tried a week ago unsuccessfully because I did not place PHP tags around it....sometimes I wonder about myself.

In order to fully solve the issue though I need to get into our IIS and adjust the content-type for this folder structure which is not passing.

Appreciate both of you helping me out with this!
0
 
EnsembleAdminAuthor Commented:
Once again, I appreciate both of you helping me out!
0
 
Dave BaldwinFixer of ProblemsCommented:
You're welcome, let us know how it works out.
0
 
Ray PaseurCommented:
No points for this, but all that Transitional and Strict stuff is kind of last-generation.  You might want to take a look at using the HTML5 doctype.  Just a thought...
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

  • 6
  • 4
  • 2
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now