Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
?
Solved

Latitude XT won't start

Posted on 2011-10-05
9
Medium Priority
?
1,822 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
I have a Dell Latitude XT and a couple days ago it stopped firing up. The battery has a full charge, but when I press the power button nothing happens the power button doesn't have a blue light. I tried to find the service manual from dell's site but they don't seem to have one on there for this model or i'm possibly looking in the wrong place. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem would be helpful. Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:xb12x
  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
  • +2
8 Comments
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:asidu
ID: 36916853
Remove the battery and keep it aside.
Then press the power button for about 20 secs.

Power back with AC and start the machine.

Worst scenario, if still you get no lights on power up. It could be the power/motherboard of the machine is fired and need replacement.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:Martin_J_Parker
ID: 36917105
Or it could be a duff power switch!

I assume it's got one of those Dell batteries with a push-button to tell you that the battery has charge.  If that's still fully charged chances are it's not a power supply problem.

If what asidu says doesn't work, try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, if you can get to it.  Even on a notebook there is often a CMOS battery which keeps the BIOS information active.  It is a small button-cell battery, usually type CR2032.  If the machine is old and that is completely drained it could cause problems when trying to start.  Usually you get some warning though - like frequently losing the date and time on the BIOS at startup.

Chances are asidu is right that it will be something like a blown motherboard, but the cost of a new CMOS battery is so low that it's worth a shot before investigating the more expensive parts.

If you can get the machine apart it would also be worth checking the power button itself.  If it's not making a good connection it's not going to start!
0
 

Author Comment

by:xb12x
ID: 36917860
I found some sticky residue on the back of the keyboard and underneath near components soI have a feeling the issue was caused by a can of pop or a coffee spilled onto the machine and caused it to short out. I am going to look further into the issue, but I have a feeling that is what caused it to die.
0
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

 
LVL 10

Accepted Solution

by:
Martin_J_Parker earned 672 total points
ID: 36918005
If that's the case, if you're lucky it could just be that the pop has got under the power key so it's no longer making an electrical connection - or it could be stuck down and not popped up properly after you pressed it - depending on where the power key is, of course.  If you're unlucky enough for the liquid to have got down to the motherboard you're probably stuffed. Good luck with it!
0
 
LVL 12

Assisted Solution

by:asidu
asidu earned 664 total points
ID: 36918081
You can try to scarp off the sticky stuff.

If coffee/pop spilled into the laptop then you will have to take a look right into the mother board. Liquid can seep into the system easily and cause a short.

If you have the service tag of the machine it would be easy to find the manual for the machine. Service manual will give you the details on how to open the machine.

Enter your service tag at this link

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
0
 

Author Comment

by:xb12x
ID: 36918089
Thanks Martin. Yeah it was under the keyboard, the power button itself seems okay, but I think it shorted the motherboard so this cool little laptop becomes a write off unless I can get a motherboard for really cheap.
0
 
LVL 93

Assisted Solution

by:nobus
nobus earned 664 total points
ID: 36922818
since it is bad, you loose nothing by tryi ng to clean it
wash it with warm water and brush it carefully off,  - let it dry over a geater, or a blower for a couple of days and test
0
 
LVL 59

Expert Comment

by:LeeTutor
ID: 37089744
This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Upper back Pain: My back hurt for months. Upper back, mostly my neck, spine and across my shoulder blades. I was getting headaches too, that felt like they were caused by tension in my shoulders, but now I feel fine! I'm sharing this hoping someone…
Considering today’s continual security threats, which affect Information technology networks and systems worldwide, it is very important to practice basic security awareness. A normal system user can secure himself or herself by following these simp…
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 7, without downloading adware.
The Task Scheduler is a powerful tool that is built into Windows. It allows you to schedule tasks (actions) on a recurring basis, such as hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, at log on, at startup, on idle, etc. This video Micro Tutorial is a brief intro…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month15 days, 11 hours left to enroll

581 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question