I am having trouble with Backup Exec writing to a HP tape drive. The job keeps failing with an unknown error "A device attached to the system is not functioning. V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred."
My setup is as follows.....
HP Proliant ML350 G6 server
HP LTO Ultrium 3 internal tape drive attached to PCIx Ultra 320 SCSI card
This server is running VMware ESXi 4.1 and I have Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 installed on an SBS 2011 SP1 virtual machine.
I am trying to backup just the SBS 2011 server but the job always fails with the above error.
Troubleshooting steps taken so far
1. Split the job into individual jobs. Exchange databases only, backup successful. C drive only, backup successful. All other databases and system state, backup successful, D drive only, backup failed. I thought that it may be something to do with the D drive but then when I ran the database only backup again the job failed with the same error.
2. Disabled and deleted the tape drive. Stopped and started all backup services. Drive was detected again but still not working
3. Right click tape drive, properties, configuration, untick "write single block mode" and "write scsi pass-through mode". No change
4. Tried backup jobs without using Advanced Open file option. No change
5. Tried backup with "verify after backup" option disabled. No change
6. Updated driver in Windows to latest version, rebooted server, deleted tape drive in backup Exec, restarted services. No change
This is a fresh installation of everything and all are fully patched. I have not installed any antivirus as of yet.
I don't have enough disk space to test using backup to disk
I am using Symantec drivers for all devices.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.