Posted on 2011-10-05
In my network, I need to take care of front facing web servers, sql servers as well as heavy restrictions and reporting on internal users. So far I have tested the Sonicwall and Untangle. Is there anything on the market that has all these features in this order of importance? I would love to be able to get both but one unit is easier to manage. Any suggestion is most appreciated.
1. Sonicwall Viewpoint type reporting in regards to bandwidth usage from external and internal ips as well as their realtime logs of all packets in and out. (Untangle is poor at reporting for this)
2. Web-filtering (I really like Untangle for that with individual authentication and reporting and most likely in combination with OPENDNS)
3. Bandwidth throttling for internal users. (Saw it in Untangle so will assume it will work)
4. SSL-VPN from a website (Currently using separate SSL VPN concentrator)
5. Connection to AD (like Untangle)
6. Spam control (Is this even realistically possible at the firewall level, since Untangle can only look at SMTP not POP? So far most solution just marks the emails. Do we have to have an external spam service to block spam. We used to have a service that worked pretty well.. once we switched to MXlogic it went downhill and eversince Mcafee bought them out its pretty much useless.