I have a relatively simple network here that I would like to upgrade. Our current system in:
1 Server 2003 AD Controller / DNS called DC1
1 Server 2008 (32) AD Controller / DNS called DC2
We are running at the Server 2003 Functional Level and use static IP.
I recently purchased 2 new 64 bit servers for domain controllers / DNS and would like to use them to upgrade the network to a purely Server 2008 R2 domain. I have a rough plan in place but I need help proofing it and with specific details/commands.
My Rough Plan:
1) After a good backup... On a weekend move all FSMO roles to DC2 (Server 2008 32-bit) and demote DC1 (Server 2003).
2) Upgrade DC2 to Server 2008 Functional Level
3) Run adprep32 / forestprep, adprep32 / domainprep and adprep32 / domainprep / gpprep on DC2 to prepare it for the 2008 R2 servers
4) Install one of my new Server 2008 R2 servers (with same IP as the old DC1) into the domain as a AD controller / DNS server called DC3
5) Wait a few weeks.
6) Move all FSMO roles to DC3
7) Demote DC2 and install the remaining Server 2008 R2 Server as DC4 (with same IP as the old DC2).
That's my plan but I'm concerned that I'm missing a detail or two.