SSRS 2008 Output to CSV missing data

Posted on 2011-10-06
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
I have an SSRS 2008 repport that when viewed on the screen or sent to a spreadsheet will show all the data. However, if I output it to a CSV file, the header field values appear the name of the texboxes. See attached csv file. How do I get all the values to appear in the CSV file.
Question by:rwheeler23
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 25

Accepted Solution

TempDBA earned 2000 total points
ID: 36929704
Okay. This is an issue with the way the report is rendered(exported).
In Excel\PDF\etc format you are seeing the header name being the same as shown in the report because it is created in the way itself.
With CSV format, you didn't get the value because, in CSV format, the values of the header is not the same as the table header values, but, Its the name of the text box where your data is being fetched while you have desinged the report. I don't know much about the rendering process but in case I will find, I will do post. Or if someone else have the time and would like to share, I will love to read it.
For now, you can do the following thing.

1. Go to the property of textboxes, here in your case, it is
     This textboxes must the exactly below the header columns in your report.

2. Go to General tab

3. Change the name of the textbox to the respective header names they represent.
    For e.g if TextBox14 represents StudID, change the name to StudID

This should solve the issue.

Author Comment

ID: 36931740
I just noticed bigger problems with this.
I have a header section with data fields that are expressions. They do not appear at all in the CSV version.

Additionally, in the example I included here I have two rows in the tablix. The first row is what you are seeing with the text box names. The second row is the actual data. So why one row print "[textbox']" and the other printed data is a mystery.
LVL 25

Expert Comment

ID: 36933176
Yup. The first row is the header details of the table. The second row shows the data that will come from your backend . So, from 2nd onwards you are getting data but first is what you set at the BIDS. You are just getting the name of the textbox from the second row.
LVL 25

Expert Comment

ID: 36947100
Was the issue solved?

Author Comment

ID: 36971843
I will get back on this on Monday.

Featured Post

Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In this short article I will be talking about two functions in the SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) function stack.  Those functions are IIF() and Switch().  And I'll be showing you how easy it is to add an Else part to the Switch function. T…
Introduction Earlier I wrote an article about the new lookup functions (http://www.experts-exchange.com/A_3433.html) that ship with SQL Server 2008 R2.  In this article I’m going to show you another new feature of SSRS 2008 R2, this time in the vis…
Despite its rising prevalence in the business world, "the cloud" is still misunderstood. Some companies still believe common misconceptions about lack of security in cloud solutions and many misuses of cloud storage options still occur every day. …
When cloud platforms entered the scene, users and companies jumped on board to take advantage of the many benefits, like the ability to work and connect with company information from various locations. What many didn't foresee was the increased risk…
Suggested Courses

862 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question