Internet Explore 8 won't connect after malware infection
Posted on 2011-10-07
I have a computer running Windows 7. It got infected with a rootkit virus and see list below of what I've done so far. I am working on this computer remotely so it does connect to the internet and I can ping outside the gateway from CLI.
1. I've managed to remove everything to my knowledge using Malwarebytes and TDSSKiller by Kaspersky. However, when trying to open IE8 it just sits there saying "Connecting" and then crashes.
2. The virus had deleted the Hosts file but I replaced that and also verified the LMHost file was clean.
3. I flushed dns and reset IE settings.
4. I've checked the Firewall settings and noticed IE was blocked but even after reenabling it, it doesn't connect.
5. I had symantec endpoint protection on it but it was completely disabled. I uninstalled it in hopes of reinstalling but IE8 won't connect so I can get anywhere to download anything.
6. Also, I am receiving error code: 80072EFE when trying to run Windows update.
I'm scratching my head on this one??