single domain multiple site: windows 2003
domain function level: windows 2003
site Misi: 192.168.17.0
ms-dc-svr03: windows 2003 dc + dns + exchange 2003
ms-dns-svr2: windows 2000, dns only
ms-vmdc02: windows 2003 dc + dns;
ms-exch02: exchange 2003 only on windows 2003.
site Mon: 192.168.10.0
mn-dc-svr12: Windows 2003 dc + dns;
an external consultant did some changes remotely without my visual witness; but here are the changes that he claimed to make:
1) migrate all mailboxes from dc-svr03 to exch02;
2) remove exchange 2003 from dc-svr03;
3) demote dc-svr03
Original goal of his change is to retire ms-dc-svr03;
1) domain user is unable to logon to ms-dc-svr03, not even to domain admin account who once logged onto this server;
2) ms-vmdc02 and mn-dc-svr12 is unable to resolve internal and external names;
3) domain users are unable to logon to ms-exch02; mail service could not start;
4) Outlook users are unable to connect to ms-exch02;
I guess the consultant did something wrong. For example, when he retire ms-dc-svr03, he is supposed to remove dns component with AD function. But right now I can still see DNS function in it even though there is no domain data.
1) if the tcp/ip dns setting point to itself on ms-vmdc02: site Misi user is unable to login;
2) if the tcp/ip dns setting point to mn-dc-svr12: site Misi user is able to login; but Outlook still could not connect to ms-exch02;
Q#1. Is ms-vmdc02 corrupted? How to verify?
Q#2. Is mn-dc-svr12 still good? How to verify?
Q#3. What options do I have to correct the AD/DNS issue?
Thanks a lot.