My company has a single server running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server SP2 (not R2). This is a domain controller and exchange 2003 server. We want to upgrade to full windows and have bought 2 second hand servers running Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit) and Windows Server 2003 R2 (64-bit). Servers have windows licenses, windows CALS, exchange2007 license and exchange CALS.
My plan is to
- Add the new servers to the domain
- Move domain controller roles to the 32-bit machine
- Install exchange 2007 on the 64-bit machine.
- Migrate users mailboxes to the exchange 2007 server.
- Decommission the SBS server.
Will this work? Do I need to buy a 2003 SBS transition pack?
Do I need to upgrade the domain schema from SBS to full windows server 2003?
Will I need to recreate user profiles on my XP and Win7 clients when user accounts move to the new domain controller?