Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services

Posted on 2011-10-10
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
We currently have a Windows 2000 Terminal server that is being used for remote users to connect to (approx. 10 users max).  We currently do not have Term licenses for that server and is works fine.
I am in the process of building a a new TS running Windows 2008 R2 and I am not clear on the licesning of Remote Desktop services and just Remote Desktop.

Can someone tell me the difference in TSM and Remote Desktiop Services?  and also if we will be required to purchase licenses for our remote users or if it comes with licenses for clients to use.

Thanks in advance.
Question by:cqr213
  • 2
  • 2

Author Comment

ID: 36943583
Also, if I do have to add the Remote Desktop Service role, what subsets of it do I also need to add??
LVL 12

Expert Comment

ID: 36943650
In the most simple way, you only need to add the remote desktop session host (To enable TS) and remote desktop licensing service because you don't have this service in other server.

In windows 2000 TS uses a special way for licensing, you can have the server (TS server) and there you have the licenses for your clients that were different from Windows 2000. Windows 2000 machines has built in (if you now what I mean) the TS license, thats because you don't need to buy additional licenses for Windows 2000 server and windows 2000 clients.

If you uses Windows 2008 RDS, if you use windows 2000 clients to connect to RDS server, then you don't need the TS license, because license is included with windows 2000 client. But if you uses differents operating systems, you need one license for every computer or one for every user. It depends of the ts mode you chose.

Here some info

Author Comment

ID: 36943941
ok.  there will be no Windows 2000 clients connecting to the 2008 R2 TS.  only WinXP and Win7.

So that means that we will have to get a license for each computer that will connect to it?  i was hoping that we wouldn't need to purchase anything else.
LVL 12

Accepted Solution

serchlop earned 2000 total points
ID: 36944527
Yes, you need to get a windows CAL for every computer that connect to your server and a RDS or TS CAL for every remote desktop connection.

You can chose to get a device TS CAL if you have x PCs and many users can connect to your RDS server or a user TS CAL if your # of users is fixed and they could use many computers.

In the first option the license is for the device (PC), in the second the license is for the user. It depends of your needs.

Featured Post

[Webinar] Cloud and Mobile-First Strategy

Maybe you’ve fully adopted the cloud since the beginning. Or maybe you started with on-prem resources but are pursuing a “cloud and mobile first” strategy. Getting to that end state has its challenges. Discover how to build out a 100% cloud and mobile IT strategy in this webinar.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Background Information Recently I have fixed file server permission issues for one of my client. The client has 1800 users and one Windows Server 2008 R2 domain joined file server with 12 TB of data, 250+ shared folders and the folder structure i…
Resolving an irritating Remote Desktop connection that stops your saved credentials from being used.
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to install and configure the Windows Server Backup Utility. Directly connect an external storage device such as a USB drive, or CD\DVD burner: If the device is a USB drive, ensure i…
This Micro Tutorial hows how you can integrate  Mac OSX to a Windows Active Directory Domain. Apple has made it easy to allow users to bind their macs to a windows domain with relative ease. The following video show how to bind OSX Mavericks to …
Suggested Courses

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question