link in Outlook 2010 to a secured PDF not working correctly
Posted on 2011-10-12
I have come across an odd behaviour that I can't seem to resolve to my management's satisfaction. Here are the particulars:
• 1 fairly large PDF file (10MB) in a directory on an IIS website
• directory is secured so that visitors have to use a login and password to access contents
• security is setup on the directory through IIS with anonymous and default visitors disabled on this particular directory; login represents the user that does have access
• there is no security on the PDF file itself
• we want to include a link to the secured file in an email going out to senior management and board members
• when users click on link in Outlook 2010, the IE browser opens up and says 'Internet Explorer can not display page' and includes the link to diagnose the connection
If you refresh the page with the error still displayed, the anticipated login box appears. If you have another browser set as the default browser (Chrome and FFox were tested), the login box appears. If you access the email via a web-mail interface and IE opens, the login box appears. I tried various security settings in IE - disabling protected viewing, lowering the security settings - but nothing appeared to have corrected the problem.
The issue appears to be something between Outlook and IE on that initial click. Unfortunately, because this is going to senior management and board, we are REALLY trying to avoid statements like 'If the file does not at first appear, click refresh' or 'Change your default browser to some worthy software...'
Any ideas or thoughts on what is happening or how to correct? Unfortunately, time is of the essence (isn't it always?).
Thanks in advance for anything offered!