VPN connects and can contect to exchange, but cant access terminal application. Only on one computer.

Posted on 2011-10-12
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
Hello fellow techies got a strange one here (well for me).

I can connect using VPN on a remote staff users laptop and Outlook is working fine once connected and I can browse network shares. But it wont connect to a terminal CAD application we use nor a web browser application we also use to manage jobs.

I have replicated everything on another computer and everything works fine. On the laptop with the issue I renewed the certificate as I thought this might be part of the problem but no it still doesn't work. It can how-ever connect via IE and RWW.

This laptop has been with the staff member while she was on maternal leave and it used to work fine.

I did find it was still joined to the domain (I didn't do this), so I removed it and joined it to a workgroup as all of the smaller branch offices are set up and they work fine as well.

If anyone can shine some light on this one I'd be very appreciative, thanks.
Question by:TrendsNZ
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 99

Expert Comment

by:John Hurst
ID: 36959013
Did it have a hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) with an entry to permit access?  Check this, it may have been damaged. .... Thinkpads_User

Author Comment

ID: 36959074
Hi thinkpads

Yes I did think of this myself and checked the hosts file and there are no entries in there at all, I also compared this to my computer and they are identical.

I also flushed the DNS on the laptop, pretty much tried all the tricks I have in my bag before posting here.

One strange thing I noticed was I was trying to provide remote support to this user before she brought the laptop in and the application "Teamviewer" was giving a loop back address ( as its User ID.

Once I plugged it into the network (ethernet), The User ID was something other than what DHCP assigned it but still in the scope. After I removed it from the domain it created another user profile for the user as a local profile. It was still using the domain profile prior to this even though it wasn't authenticating to the domain in the first instance. My old boss said to me this works for a while as it caches certain information.

Anymore questions happy to answer, thanks.
LVL 99

Accepted Solution

John Hurst earned 500 total points
ID: 36959254
It is entirely possible for Outlook to make its own connection where shares and applications do not connect. I have seen that at clients.

Consider the following (on the problem computer):

1. What happens (what answer) when you ping the server address (not the server IP)?
2. In this configuration, I normally myself and for my clients have a script to map the relevant folders on the server once the VPN connection has been made. Can you map folders? And then does this permit terminal application?

... Thinkpads_User

Author Comment

ID: 36965571
I ran the script: \\[server name]\Clients\setup\setup.exe /s [server name] on the laptop then everything started working :)

Thanks for the suggestion thinkpads!

LVL 99

Expert Comment

by:John Hurst
ID: 36965586
You are most welcome. Thanks for the update and I was pleased to assist. .... Thinkpads_User

Featured Post

New feature and membership benefit!

New feature! Upgrade and increase expert visibility of your issues with Priority Questions.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

OpenVPN is a great open source VPN server that is capable of providing quick and easy VPN access to your network on the cheap.  By default the software is configured to allow open access to your network.  But what if you want to restrict users to on…
Will you be ready when the clock on GDPR compliance runs out? Is GDPR even something you need to worry about? Find out more about the upcoming regulation changes and download our comprehensive GDPR checklist today !
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…
Windows 10 is mostly good. However the one thing that annoys me is how many clicks you have to do to dial a VPN connection. You have to go to settings from the start menu, (2 clicks), Network and Internet (1 click), Click VPN (another click) then fi…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month15 days, 15 hours left to enroll

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question