Random/Mysterious Cursor Movement While Typing
Posted on 2011-10-12
Ok. I have a user with a:
Dell Latitude E5520
Win 7 x64
Using Firefox and Office 2007 Suite
Less than 3months old
Starting on 10/6/11 her cursor started randomly and mysteriously moving to a new typing position while she would type. This has been confirmed to happen both in a web broswer (gmail, or web page), and microsoft office (word, excel). Sometimes this happens a lot other times it happens very infrequently.
What I Have Tried/Know so Far:
1. disabled dell trackpad software utility - this software is a utility to enhance the trackpad and pointing stick. I started by disabling individual components inside the software, then I disabled every component of the software, and lastly I uninstalled the Dell Track Pad Software (removing this software does not disable use of the trackpad and pointing device).
2. I turned off the "enhanced pointer precision" option under the Pointer Options Tab on the Mouse Properties screen.
3.I confirmed that "hide pointer while typing" DOES have a check in the box (option located on the same tab listed in #2).
4. Confirmed that the mouse drivers are up-to-date.
5. Even though the Dell Trackpad software has been uninstalled the trackpad and pointing device still work - I have confirmed that bumping the pointing device or accidentally touching the trackpad while typing DOES NOT cause the cursor to jump to a new area of the screen wit the trackpad software uninstalled
6. Confirmed Windows is up-todate
7. Ran Virus scan (not safe mode)- nothing found
Here's the kicker: I have spent about 3 hours trying to troubleshoot this and I troubleshoot by typing emails to myself from her computer. I would consider myself a pretty quick typist. The trouble I have is that I would start troubleshooting and after making a few changes her cursor would stop moving and I could type 3 or 4 large bodied emails and not have any problems. Then she would hop on and start typing and then boom, the cursor starts moving. She on the other hand types with her index fingers and is a much slower typist. I have had this happen to me twice now. It appears I have fixed the problem by being able to write large paragraphs without any random cursor movement and then a few hours later I get and email from her that the cursor is going crazy. Please any help would be appreciated.
This issue seems to be prevalent on many forums, most of the time it is related to people touching the trackpad while typing. This is not the issue here, unless the trackpad it's self is malfunctioning.
There was one suggestion that this might be a boot sector virus that can only be detected while in safe mode. Thanks for the help.