copying VM files from stand alone vmhost to my farm, not all files appear to copy over
Posted on 2011-10-14
I have a stand alone vmhost that is running 4.1 and a farm using 4.1. I want to migrate my main SQL server off of its stand alone host into the farm. I have done this a couple times before with less significant servers, but want to make sure I understand everything before I begin this. My procedure is as follows.
1. login into vsphere on the stand alone
2 Power down VM I want to move and take snapshot
3. Browse datastore and download the vmfiles to a shared folder (with sufficient) space.
4. login to vsphere on the farm
5. browse to datastore and create a directory for the "moved" vm
6. upload the files from my shared folder to the directory I just created
7. Once all the files are copied, add the VM to inventory by right-clicking the .vmx file and selecting “add to inventory”
This all works fine, and then I can power up the moved vm in the FARM.
My question is, for example, my "test" vm is named test and I have the files downloaded to my "third party shared folder" they appear in the list:
I swear I have uploaded all 10 files to the farm, but only 8 of them are displayed.
I do not see "test-flat.vmdk" or "test-000001-delta.vmdk"
Can anyone explain if this is normal? I recall having fewer files before when I have done this procedure, but since it was less important servers and everything worked, I did not worry too much about it. All input is welcome