I have been using a decent PC for about 1,5 years which may still be considered as above average power/strength. Because I am using VM Workstation, RAM is an essential component of my system, which I currently have 12 GB. I have:
- Asus P6TD Deluxe MB
- 2 Sets of Corsair CM3x2G1333C9 (6 GB + 6 GB, 12 GB in total)
I would like to add more RAM to this system but I need to know if I can and what are my options.
First, my mother board claims to support up to 24 GB RAM. Based on my budget, I can do with 18 GB for now. This means I keep 1 triple set of Corsair RAM and buy a triple set of 4 GB RAMs in theory.
1. Do the new RAMs have to be DDR3 1333 also?
2. Do the new RAMs have to be a triple set of 4 GB (12 in total) or can I get 3 seperate 4 GBs?
3. Are there any compatibility issues I need to consider with the old RAMs, new RAMs and the MB?
4. Can I keep say 5 RAMs in place and add a 4 GB new RAM? (this action will split the triple architecture of the Corsair RAMs - will they still work?)
Thank you in advance. It's more than one question but they are all related.