How to swap my hard disk partition.

I have a 150 GB Harddisk, of which 68 GB is assigned to drive C & 80 GB is given to drive D. I would like to transfer my system files along with data on drive C to Drive D which has much more storage capacity, so that my drive C becomes drive D and vice versa. Is there a solution or do i have to reinstall my operating system again.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
A full boat XP Pro system works happily in 20 Gb (software and all, but no data). So why not leave as is, and use the larger partition for long term storage.

I think you have to re-install XP to do what you want to do with stability. .... Thinkpads_User

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
You can use CloneZilla, which is included on the PartedMagic LiveCD to clone your old HD to the new one. Once that is done and your new disk boots up properly, you can again boot with the LiveCD and use the Partition Editor utility on it to resize and slide your partitions to suite your space needs:
Gary CaseRetiredCommented:
If these are the only two partitions on the drive, rather than "swap" them you can do a bit a rearranging of the space and simply resize them as you desire.

First, however, 68GB is PLENTY for XP and your programs.    Have you considered simply relocating "My Documents" to the D: partititon?    [Right-click on My Documents; select Properties; click on Move; and select your new location (There's a "Create New Folder" button if you haven't already created a folder on D: for them)]

... I suspect that simply moving your documents folder to D: will free up plenty of space on C:

But if you still want to resize the partitions, just ask and I'll provide the details.
The basic process is (a) resize D:,  (b) move D: so the free space is between C & D, and (c) resize C:
Dr. KlahnPrincipal Software EngineerCommented:
With hard drives being so cheap today, a better solution is to buy a used 250 or 320 GB hard drive, then migrate the partitions to the new drive in whatever size configuration is desired.  Then the original drive is a safe backup of the old system configuration that can be kept as long as desired to confirm that the new configuration is valid, and can later be used for backups.
I have done tasks like this in the past and I would use a program like PartionMagic (Disk partitioning software.  I would first reduce the size of the D: to 68GB changing where that partions starts.  Then I would expand that C: drive to include the space that is newly not allocated as a part of a partions (approximately 12GB).  I would suggest that you consider getting a new harddrive since they are so cheap and use some PC cloning hardware such as Ghost to backup your current installation and restore it on the new harddrive.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows XP

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.