Integration between MS Office and Sharepoint running in the cloud (on Windows Servers 2008 running on VMWare machines)
Posted on 2011-10-17
Here is the scenario:
0. A virtual private cloud running windows servers (2008 R2 Enterprise).
1. All servers belong to the same domain and in the same private network (es. 10.0.0.0).
2. A server works as DNS and Active Directory
3. A server runs MS Sharepoint.
3. A server acts as remote application provider via RDP (remote desktop protocol) using Remote Desktop Services. The application is MS OFFICE (eg. excel)
4. Users can access via Internet the SharePoint server using their domain account
5. Users can access via Internet the MS Office server via RDP, using their domain account
6. The SharePoint server contains MS Office documents (eg. excel files)
7. A user wants to open an excel file stored in the SharePoint server via the Excel application running in remote.
To accomplish point 7 the user can:
a) Access the RDS server via internet
b) Launch an instance of Excel running on the remote server
b) From Excel open the SharePoint url of the desired Excel file.
What happens if a user wants to open the excel file directly from SharePoint (using the pull down menu "Open with Excel" option) ?
In particular: would it be possible to configure the system in order to start automatically (by default) directly from SharePoint a new instance of Excel running on the remote app server ?
Hope the question is clear.