[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 398
  • Last Modified:

DB2 result set is adding decimals to integer and all single character fields.

We have noticed a strange problem with a new install.  A little info is needed first....  

We have an old application which only runs in XP and we are in the process of converting it to handle Windows 7.  So we must run this app in XP Mode under Windows 7.  We have installed it like this on several computers with no problems.  On this last install (16 pc's) everything was fine on all except 4 of them.  On these 4 PC's when we do any query, all integer fields and all single character fields get returned with an appended decimal.   I logged into the db2 console and verified the decimal is not in the database.  It seems to be something with db2 driver or ODBC.  The app is written using Delphi 7 and we are using BDE for the Delphi to ODBC bridge. I compared a machine that it works fine on with one of the bad ones and everything in the regional settings are the same.  Both machines have the same copy of the application.

Any help would be great!!
0
brashier
Asked:
brashier
  • 4
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Kent OlsenData Warehouse Architect / DBACommented:
Hi Brashier,

Three things jump out at me as places to check.

1.  Application.  Make sure that all are running the same version with the same configuration file(s), if appropriate.
2.  DB2 driver.  Make sure that all are connecting via the same driver.
3.  DB2 definitions.  Make sure that the databases are declared/defined identically on all of the client machines.


Kent
0
 
brashierAuthor Commented:
Hi Kent,
  Thanks for the fast response.  Actually I should have mentioned those steps as already checked in my original question.  That was the first thing I checked since that's usually the only thing that can cause our app problems.  Everything seems to be the same.  We copy the db2 driver from a single net share on our server and we only have one copy of it on there so I know that's not the problem.  We have had this app for over 10 years and we have never had this problem.  It's very unusual.
0
 
Kent OlsenData Warehouse Architect / DBACommented:
Hi Brashier,

Are you using the DB2 client for your connections or a generic ODBC/JDBC driver?

0
Get quick recovery of individual SharePoint items

Free tool – Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint, enables fast, easy restores of SharePoint sites, documents, libraries and lists — all with no agents to manage and no additional licenses to buy.

 
brashierAuthor Commented:
We are using the DB2 Express 8.1 runtime client.  File name from IBM was FP2_WR21318_RTCL.zip if this helps.  We always open the odbcad32 panel and add a system datasource using the "IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER" driver.  From there we do the standard config, with no special settings.
0
 
momi_sabagCommented:
i would try to import data using the same odbc driver into excel and see if i get the same problem
0
 
brashierAuthor Commented:
Thanks everyone.!!

It appears that the problem was in the ODBC driver binding.  At the time we were setting these pc's up, there were network technicians working on the network so who knows.  I went into the ODBC DB2 driver datasource setup and re-binded the driver and that fixed it.  Kent, you focused my efforts on the ODBC driver and that's why I found the problem, therefore you get the points.  Thanks!  
0
 
brashierAuthor Commented:
Excellent help and his questions focused my efforts on the problem area.  His questions are the reason I found  the solution.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 4
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now