All of a sudden we stopped receiving mails in our Outlook exchange.
I have found out that pop3 connector results in an error, therefore not receiving any mails from our webmail providor.
In Event Viewer I get this message:
Cannot connect to the SMTP server 'localhost' on port 25. The error code was 0x800ccc0e. Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service is running and that the Exchange receive connectors are properly configured.
Telnet to port 25 gives me: Connection Failed on both internal an external IP.
E.g. port 80 is OK.
The "Fix My Network" keeps complaining about a missing port mapping (prob. port 25)
My router forwards OK, but using canyouseeme.org results in a "Connection Timeout"
When changing the forward of port 25 to another device the connection is successfull.
So I assume that the problem must lie in SBS.
I have AVG Internet Security Business Edition 2012 installed on the server.
have tried to disable resident Shield and scanning of incomming emails, as I have disabled the Windows Firewall, but no change.