?
Solved

upgrading ibm t23

Posted on 2011-10-18
Medium Priority
?
Last Modified: 2013-11-10
first off i would like to say this is a hobby and i'm not looking for "just buy a new labtop" answers.
having said that i would like to upgrade my t23 to onboard wireless and usb 2.0.  i know the only way to do that is to buy hardware

it's a 2647 with a gig of ram and 16bit graph. I have been running windows seven ultimate 32bit. on it for at least two years, i was one of the first to start beta on seven and my machine loves it.  i would like my t23 to go on forever if i can.  cheers
Comment
Question by:mr_tripps
  • +2
10 Comments

LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:SysExpert
ID: 36989438
Your only choices are PCMCIA or expresscard depending on what you have available.

I hope this helps !

Author Comment

by:mr_tripps
ID: 36989476
hmm i've tried that and it works yes but i was looking for on board wireless.  like installing new hardware, not plug and play stuff.  cheers anyway.

LVL 4

Expert Comment

by:fleamourian
ID: 36989484
I think you'd be better off asking in the ThinkPad specific forum:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/

I have found them to be very helpful.
Prepare for your VMware VCP6-DCV exam.

Josh Coen and Jason Langer have prepared the latest edition of VCP study guide. Both authors have been working in the IT field for more than a decade, and both hold VMware certifications. This 163-page guide covers all 10 of the exam blueprint sections.

Author Comment

ID: 36989493
cheers

LVL 69

Expert Comment

by:Callandor
ID: 36992374
Apart from PCMCIA cards, there's no way to get "onboard" wireless or USB capability to laptops.  These are usually a function of dedicated chipsets on the motherboard, and you can't just add equipment to connect existing chipsets or add new ones to laptops.  On desktops, you can do it with PCI cards, but there aren't any PCI slots in laptops, only the PCMCIA slot (nowadays replaced by the expresscard slot).

LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:SysExpert
ID: 36997255
I do not think that the T23 had a place for a wifi mini-express card like the newer thinkpads do.

You can check the maintenance manual to be sure. If it does not then you really do not have any other options other than those I mentioned.

If it does, you will probably be limited to whatever cards are available ( probably only the slower B wifi ) unless you are up to doing some serious modding.

LVL 25

Accepted Solution

by:
RobMobility earned 2000 total points
ID: 37023517
Hi,

The T23 does indeed have support for a Mini PCI WLAN adapter according to the service manual:

Mini PCI Type-IIIa IEEE 802.11b wireless LAN
card

The mini PCI slot is just behind the docking connector - you should see a flap.

This should fit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-MPI350-Cisco-Aironet-MiniPCI-Wireless-M3144-/200659621144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb83ed518

Service manual here:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad%20t20%20t21%20t22%20t23.pdf

Regards,

RobMobility.

Author Comment

ID: 37204686
I've requested that this question be deleted for the following reason:

no valid answers

LVL 69

Expert Comment

ID: 37204687
There are answers which you may not like, but that's because there's no guarantee that anything in the world can be done.  The T23 just can't be upgraded the way you would like, because it can't.

LVL 69

Expert Comment

ID: 37204703
RobMobility's comment should be selected as the answer - this ebay sale is for a T23 with built-in WiFi:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IBM-Thinkpad-T23-Laptop-40-gig-HD-Win-XP-Pro-Built-WiFi-DVD-CDRW-/270837903327?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D270801087769%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4526099615523132958#ht_1786wt_1107

"You are buying Fast, Stylish IBM Thinkpad T23 laptop that is in good working condition.Type: 2647. Nice laptop with little sign of wear on the keyboard & Palmrest. Screen is bright & clear. No dead pixels. This unit has Fast Intel Pentium III Mobil processor with 1.13 GHz and 512 MB ram, Built in WiFi, Xp-pro, Office, word, excel, powerpoint , DVD, CD-Rw & swapabale floppy drive, 2 usb ports, print port, serial,p/s 2 mouse, keyboard,with tracking point, stereo speakers, ethernet & modem and more.."

Featured Post

[eBook] Windows Nano Server

Download this FREE eBook and learn all you need to get started with Windows Nano Server, including deployment options, remote management
and troubleshooting tips and tricks

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This is about my first experience with programming Arduino.
This paper addresses the security of Sennheiser DECT Contact Center and Office (CC&O) headsets. It describes the DECT security chain comprised of “Pairing”, “Per Call Authentication” and “Encryption”, which are all part of the standard DECT protocol.
Is your data getting by on basic protection measures? In today’s climate of debilitating malware and ransomware—like WannaCry—that may not be enough. You need to establish more than basics, like a recovery plan that protects both data and endpoints.…
Screencast - Getting to Know the Pipeline
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month16 days, 23 hours left to enroll

864 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question