upgrading ibm t23

first off i would like to say this is a hobby and i'm not looking for "just buy a new labtop" answers.
having said that i would like to upgrade my t23 to onboard wireless and usb 2.0.  i know the only way to do that is to buy hardware

it's a 2647 with a gig of ram and 16bit graph. I have been running windows seven ultimate 32bit. on it for at least two years, i was one of the first to start beta on seven and my machine loves it.  i would like my t23 to go on forever if i can.  cheers
mr_trippsAsked:
Who is Participating?

Rob KnightConsultantCommented:
Hi,

The T23 does indeed have support for a Mini PCI WLAN adapter according to the service manual:

Mini PCI Type-IIIa IEEE 802.11b wireless LAN
card

The mini PCI slot is just behind the docking connector - you should see a flap.

This should fit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-MPI350-Cisco-Aironet-MiniPCI-Wireless-M3144-/200659621144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb83ed518

Service manual here:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad%20t20%20t21%20t22%20t23.pdf

Regards,

RobMobility.

SysExpertCommented:
Your only choices are PCMCIA or expresscard depending on what you have available.

I hope this helps !

mr_trippsAuthor Commented:
hmm i've tried that and it works yes but i was looking for on board wireless.  like installing new hardware, not plug and play stuff.  cheers anyway.
Protect Your Employees from Wi-Fi Threats

As Wi-Fi growth and popularity continues to climb, not everyone understands the risks that come with connecting to public Wi-Fi or even offering Wi-Fi to employees, visitors and guests. Download the resource kit to make sure your safe wherever business takes you!

fleamourianCommented:
I think you'd be better off asking in the ThinkPad specific forum:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/

I have found them to be very helpful.

cheers

CallandorCommented:
Apart from PCMCIA cards, there's no way to get "onboard" wireless or USB capability to laptops.  These are usually a function of dedicated chipsets on the motherboard, and you can't just add equipment to connect existing chipsets or add new ones to laptops.  On desktops, you can do it with PCI cards, but there aren't any PCI slots in laptops, only the PCMCIA slot (nowadays replaced by the expresscard slot).

SysExpertCommented:
I do not think that the T23 had a place for a wifi mini-express card like the newer thinkpads do.

You can check the maintenance manual to be sure. If it does not then you really do not have any other options other than those I mentioned.

If it does, you will probably be limited to whatever cards are available ( probably only the slower B wifi ) unless you are up to doing some serious modding.

I've requested that this question be deleted for the following reason:

no valid answers

CallandorCommented:
There are answers which you may not like, but that's because there's no guarantee that anything in the world can be done.  The T23 just can't be upgraded the way you would like, because it can't.

CallandorCommented:
RobMobility's comment should be selected as the answer - this ebay sale is for a T23 with built-in WiFi:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IBM-Thinkpad-T23-Laptop-40-gig-HD-Win-XP-Pro-Built-WiFi-DVD-CDRW-/270837903327?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D270801087769%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4526099615523132958#ht_1786wt_1107

"You are buying Fast, Stylish IBM Thinkpad T23 laptop that is in good working condition.Type: 2647. Nice laptop with little sign of wear on the keyboard & Palmrest. Screen is bright & clear. No dead pixels. This unit has Fast Intel Pentium III Mobil processor with 1.13 GHz and 512 MB ram, Built in WiFi, Xp-pro, Office, word, excel, powerpoint , DVD, CD-Rw & swapabale floppy drive, 2 usb ports, print port, serial,p/s 2 mouse, keyboard,with tracking point, stereo speakers, ethernet & modem and more.."
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.