Multiple problems possibly related - IE 9 has an approx 30 to 90 second delay when first started, and "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action."
Posted on 2011-10-19
I am working on a computer that has an issue with or effecting Internet Explorer 9, and other programs on the computer
When first started there is a delay of 30-90 seconds before loading the first web page. After that it seems to work normal.
Google Chrome is also on this computer and works fine, so I don't believe it is a connection problem.
The reason I need to fix this is because Quickbooks 2009 is also on this computer, and it uses Internet Explorer as its internal browser to do its online services.
Also, I have been running into the error "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action." when trying to remove some of the unneeded programs on this computer. I have done the processes described in various web posts of re-registering the VBScript service, and it does say that it re-registers, but the error still comes up. I made sure that the service was not registered under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the registry, which some web sites say can be the reason that it does not work after being re-registered.
Not sure if they are related to each other, but just in case I am mentioning it here.
The computer is running Vista Home Premium, all patches and updates that were detected as needed have been applied.
I have run multiple scans with Norton Internet security, Malwarbytes, Super Anti-Spyware, Gmer, and I believe I took care of all the issues found. Everything scans clean now, so if something caused this issue, I believe its leftover damage and not an active program.
I have tried removing and reinstalling the Internet Explorer update to no affect. Though, I did not do a clean install of Internet Explorer (If that can be done, I have looked for a procedure, but did not find anything off hand that looked right). If any of you know that procedure I would greatly appreciate it.
I tried to remove and re-install Quickbooks 2009, but had to restore from a backup. I believe it was an issue with the VBScript service mentioned earlier. Sorry, not in front of the computer right now and I have been working on it for awhile so everything can blur together in my mind ;).
This computer was on a network that, before I started working on it, had many security issues, computers with "free" security software on them, which were not updated or monitored. I believe I have cleaned everything out, but I would not be surprised if something was left, or if, as I mentioned earlier, there is damage left from something that was already removed.
I know it would be easier to wipe and re-install on all of these computers, but there was not adequate backup system in place either, and I must avoid losing any critical data.
Its not my mess, I am just cleaning it up. I have already talked to the owner at length about how it should have been, and how its going to be once I am done.
Thank you all in advance for your help, and I will be working on this computer later today (10/19/2011)