I work from a home office. I've had a Cisco 5505 ASA for a couple years which has allowed me to access my company network including use of a network phone. The system has worked flawlessly until recently when my laptop was upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows 98. I'll note the setup and symptoms below but I should note that my IT guys seem stumped and I'm not particularly tech saavy. I can't access the ASA to get a log or check settings and I wouldn't know what to look for. My hope is that some of you can point me toward the more likely problem based on the symptoms listed below.
Here's the setup: ISP modem>linksys wrt54G router (provides home internet access too)>Cisco 5505 ASA>laptop docking station and phone. Again, this configuration has worked great for years and still works fine with a loaner laptop running Windows 98.
Here's the problem: with the Windows 7 machine, the same port(s) on the ASA allow access to my company network, but only very limited access to the internet. By "limited internet access" I mean that most external sites simply don't load. They don't time out, the browser just keep trying with no results. What's odd is that I can apparently access sites that are hosted by Google (search engine, YouTube, Google Maps). The sites quickly return current information, not cached results. I've not found any other sites that work.
I've checked the browser proxy settings and those are OK (unchecked). I've tried different browsers and the results are the same. Tried power cycling everything, lots of times.
I also tried moving the ASA between the modem and the linksys router. Not only did that not solve the problem but it created the same exact symptoms on my home computer (an iMac).
My IT guys say it isn't a "split tunnel" issue and that's configured properly. I don't know what else they've considered but I'm hoping to get some guidance from you folks. Thanks!