• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 182
  • Last Modified:

Web site can't be seen by my client

Yes, I know this is going to sound vague (sorry).

I am a web site designer.  I built a site for a client in another state a couple of years ago.  MOST of the time she can see the site no trouble at all.  But there have now been two occasions on which she has been unable to see the site at all.

Both times, something had been done with her hosting.  The last time, three days ago, it was as simple as the password for her cPanel was changed.

The trouble is that I can see her site, she can see the site when she goes down the road to her friend's place, and everyone I asked via Facebook can see the site.  It is just her that gets no response when she tries to go to her web site.  I think it is a time-out situation, but with communications being mainly by email it is hard to diagnose.

She has turned her computer off and on, and cleared the cache.  She has turned her modem off and on.  I am not sure what else to advise her to do.

Also, when she uses another computer at home (same modem) she doesn't get the site coming up there either.

I am almost at the stage of asking for technical details of her modem so I can try to work out how to reset it, but I really don't want to have to try to fix it if it stuffs up, especially since she is in another state and has very little technical help nearby.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done?  The last time it did this, it eventually came OK "by itself".  Which is no help, as it still took 2 weeks.
0
geckogully
Asked:
geckogully
3 Solutions
 
itguy565Commented:
This sounds a lot like a name resolution issue to me.

I would probably start my troubleshooting as follows

1. open a command Prompt and start a connectivity test to the site.  ex. ping www.somesite.com
2. Perform the same test from a working computer. Note the differences in the computers are the computers trying to resolve the same address? If they are not then I would check the DNS settings on both machines assuming they are on the same network. If they are not on the same network then I would check the DNS on the clients network.

The Clients ISP provides static DNS settings so that clients can connect directly to name servers that are on their network. I would suggest if the problem persists to try and manually map these DNS settings on that workstation. This would ensure that the client is not going to a public DNS server or one that is not functioning properly.

You could also try flushing the DNS resolver cache. This can be performed from the command prompt using the command

ipconfig /flushdns follow this command by ipconfig /registerdns



0
 
Amit KhilnaneyCommented:
i guess this is ISP specefic or may be DNS settings provided by her ISP is causing it. Try open DNS setting on PC and see if it works.
0
 
Sid_FCommented:
Go to a command prompt on your PC. start-run-cmd then type nslookup type the website address, note the IP it returns
Get her to do the same, does the command return the same IP ?

 I trust no dns records have changed in the last 72 hours which could be causing a propagation issue?

I would also take control remotely of her machine using something like teamviewer.com (its very simple and easy to get connected up) to get a better picture of what she is doing. Avoid that router reset at all costs! :  )
0
Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

 
geckogullyAuthor Commented:
She gets the same IP as I do when we both do a nslookup.

The ipconfig flush and restore said they were successful, but she still can't see the site.  

I have got her to access her site via a proxy server while I write to the web hosting company.
0
 
itguy565Commented:
If that is the case have her try and access the site though another web browser like google chrome or firefox. Is she able to see the site?
0
 
geckogullyAuthor Commented:
OK, all is resolved.  It turns out the web hosting company had blocked her IP address because they claimed there were 5 failed attempts to access her email.  The strange part was that the initial failure happened within minutes of them changing the cPanel password.  And yes, there were several failed attempts AFTER that from her IP, because she was trying to download her emails.

Anyway, it is all sorted now.

I am not sure what to do about awarding points, so I will try to award equally to all of you who sent in a possible solution, even though none of them actually resolved the problem.

Thank you all again for your help!
0

Featured Post

Important Lessons on Recovering from Petya

In their most recent webinar, Skyport Systems explores ways to isolate and protect critical databases to keep the core of your company safe from harm.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now