We recently took over management of a PowerEdge T310 server running SBS 2008, in an office with 3 workstations. This server had not been managed or maintained in over a year.
Whomever set it up originally put all user shares on the C: drive, leaving a 500GB D: partition completely empty, and the C: drive nearly full. Several Windows updates were also queued up. Once we took over, we moved the user shares, consisting of users' documents, to D:, and installed all the Windows updates. Among these updates was a security update to SQL Server 2005 SP 3.
This business relies on MRI, a real estate accounting application made by Intuit. I don't know much about MRI except that it is apparently a SQL-based application - don't know anything about SQL either. We don't have access to MRI support because it's extremely expensive and the client has elected not to purchase it.
Anyways, as soon as I started messing with the server, I noticed it was running terribly slowly....slow to open windows, menus, applications, etc.
Shortly after we made the changes and updated the server, the client-side MRI apps started running VERY slowly (whereas they were fine before we came in). Slow to launch, slow to bring up dialog boxes, slow to access anything...basically unusable.
We solved the server-side slowness today by updating BIOS and chipset drivers. The client-side MRI applications are still running slowly. The application launches faster now that the server isn't as slow, but actions inside the application - bringing up reports, moving from one window to another, etc - are still very slow.