Windows 7 updates and Windows 7 SP1 fail to install with error code 800736b3 error_sxs_assembly_not_found
Posted on 2011-10-21
my perfectly running windows 7 professional fails installing security updates kb2387530, 2467023, 2393802, 2485376, 2482017, 2475792, 2425227, 2479628 since feb 9, 2011, all of them with the same error 800736b3.
the built in windows 7 error procedure for failed updates does not help.
searching for solutions, i tried the following without success:
1) the microsoft fix it tool for update problems.
2) the windows 7 system file check sfc found no problems
3) selecting only single ones of the failing updates
4) restoring and resetting the advanced internet options of internet explorer
5) deleting the folder "softwaredistribution" in c:\windows to force new download of the updates
6) in safe mode windows 7 does not offer windows updates
7) resetting to former system restore points
8) restoring a windows image backup from before 9 feb, 2011
9) only today i saw there was windows 7 sp1 offered (kb976932) within windows update - new hope arose, and i deselected the eight failing updates, selected only windows 7 sp1 update, and then a fully unlogic story happened:
after beginning the installation of windows 7 sp1, the system wanted a reboot.
after the reboot i saw, sp1 update had failed, with the same error code 800736b3, but all the other eight DEselected had succeeded! sometimes one goes crazy about windows.
after this i had 10 tries to install the windows 7 sp1 update, but the system told me, it has to download it before, and the download stopped after some minutes with 0% and above error code.
then i downloaded the windows 7 sp1 from microsoft, the installation (windows firewall disabled, virusscan disabled) stopped with same error code and error_sxs_assembly_not_found.
also downloading and installing the system update preparation tool Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x86 did not make succeed sp1 installation thereafter.
so i got no clue what else to try, i deselected sp1, and the system tells me, it is up to date, no new updates. fine?